Friday, June 8, 2007

Such A Big God!

Yesterday I was at the beach. I stood at the edge of the beach, the wet sand oozing in between my toes, the waves rushing up and swirling about my legs, then sweeping back down to join the next wave as it rushed up the beach. Looking straight out to sea it felt like the expanse of water was taller then me and that if I walked out on the same level, I would end up standing chin-deep in the water. I stood beside the sea feeling very small before a very big ocean. I stood beside the sea feeling very small before a very big God.

This week I was at a Sunday School planning meeting. Someone suggested that we prayed before we began the meeting, so we all sat round waiting for someone else to pray. One girl asked two other girls if they would pray and they shyly shook their heads no, so she raised her eyes and hands heavenwards and said, "Why is everyone afraid to pray out loud? We're just praying to God after all!" One of the boys spoke out, "That's right, just the Creator of the world."

The other morning I read this verse in Job: "Whether for correction, or for His world, or for lovingkindness, He causes it to happen." (Job 37v13) It reminded me that this is His world - He created it and He rules over it.

God is so powerful, so immense, so big! Yet He loves us so much He sent His only Son to die on the cross for our sins! He is so big and so mighty, holding the whole world in His hands, yet He wants a personal and living relationship with each and every one of us!

Only such an immense and big God could have so much love for each and every one of us!

2 comments:

Katie said...

This is the *real* reason I love the Ocean and the beach....that *bigger than me* feel is something I forget so quickly...and God always reminds me there!

(I'm still not sure I'm happy about you posting about the BEACH!!! *turning colors all over again*)

Elisabeth said...

"Our God is a great big God ..."

You know, we smile (okay, giggle!) when we sing this childrens' song at church, but it's soooooo true!