Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Changing The World - A Word At A Time

Today my sister left me a note to let me know that she thinks I'm amazing.

My day had not been going too well, but after I had read her note, a smile spread over my face, I could feel the new light coming into my eyes and I wouldn't have been surprised if people could have seen the warm glow around my heart. That note changed my day and I know that I will be carrying the special feeling around inside me for the rest of my life.

I still remember nice things that someone said about me, something I had done or the way I looked from fifteen plus years ago. Someone said how pretty I looked in a little green dress with a smocked front, a white scalloped collar with little flowers around the edge and a big sash that tied up behind. My Mother said that a drawing I had done of a bird was really good. A friend said how sweet she thought I was. My sister said what a good job I had done on a piece of writing. A friend said how much she appreciated me and what I did for her.

When somebody says nice or encouraging things to me, it makes my day happier, but it also makes me happy every time I think about it in the following days, months or years.

Everyone of those people who have ever said a good word to or about me, have helped to change my life - for the better.

Think how many people's lives we could change for the better by simply taking the time to say a nice or encouraging word to someone we know.

The first couple of times it may feel a little staged, it may be a little awkward and the person may look surprised, incredulous or sceptical, but I would rather feel a little awkward and have someone look surprised and know that what I said might help that person feel better about themselves and bring a little happiness into their day and maybe any number of days in the future.

When you think someones dress is nice - tell them how well it suits them.
When someone gives you a present - make sure you thank them for thinking of you.
If someone does a good job - tell them how well they did.
In the morning - say a cheerful hello.
In the store at the checkout - say a smiling thank you.
If someone asks you how you are - don't forget to ask them too.
If your friend is looking nice - tell her how pretty she is.
When you know someone has been having a tough day or week - tell them you've been praying for them.

Who knows - maybe after you have said something nice to them, they will be encouraged to say something nice to someone else, who will be encouraged to say something nice to someone else ...

Just say nice things to people - each and every day in every small or big way.

That is what I am going to do - changing the world every word along the way.

No comments: