Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Coffee And Halos

One Sunday I had to be at church early for a meeting over breakfast. As I walked toward the door I realized there were a couple of hobos out on the steps folding up their blankets. I smiled at them as I walked past and got inside the building.

A couple minutes later they came and joined us and we gave them coffee and bacon for breakfast. We talked to them, asked them what their names were, found out some of their life histories and chatted for a while.

We didn't get much of a meeting done and we had to talk about some stuff with them sitting there, but it was the right thing to do.

It reminded me of that verse in the Bible that says that by welcoming people and helping them you might be entertaining angels unawares. I don't think you should only help people for that reason, but who knows that maybe one day we might give coffee and bacon to an angel?

After all, it's not every day you have hobos to breakfast in a church!

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

That's soooooo neat, that you gave them coffee and bacon and talked to them and made them welcome!