Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Perfect Picnic

It was a perfect summer day. There was a nice breeze. We had a day's vacation. We went for a picnic.

Picnics are such fun. Just lying in the grass; staring up at the blue sky through the branches of the tree; feeling the breeze stirring your hair; the warmth of the sun on your arms. Just lying around and being lazy and doing nothing except eat.

That was what struck me - we were just sitting there eating. The total aim and purpose of this trip was to eat. We went to all that effort to get together food, pack up the car, head out on the road, find some nice grass and share our space with the bugs and what were we doing? Eating. I decided to voice my thoughts.

"Does it strike anyone that we're just sitting here eating?"

My sister viewed me consideringly, head on one side.

"Well, you are just sitting there stuffing your face."

Sisters are so wonderfully blunt sometimes. She hastened to assure me that she didn't mean 'you' as in 'you', just 'you' as in 'one'. Problem is, I was just sitting there stuffing my face. I wouldn't have chosen to phrase it that way if I had been left to pick the terminology myself, but beat around the bush however much you like, when it comes down to the basic facts, that was what I was doing.

That picnic was so much fun. We were really silly and laughed until we nearly choked; we made a lot of noise and made people stare at us; we lay around in the grass and just talked (and ate). We enjoyed the sun and the grass, the laughter and time with each other.

Life isn't perfect, but it has its perfect moments.

That picnic was definitely one of those perfect moments.

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

Do you know how *good* you are at writing? This is brilliant! (I really mean it!)